The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe (REC) is an international organisation with a mission to assist in addressing environmental issues. The REC fulfils this mission by promoting cooperation among governments, non-governmental organisations, businesses and other environmental stakeholders, and by supporting the free exchange of information and public participation in environmental decision making.
The REC was established in 1990 by the United States, the European Commission and Hungary. Today, the REC is legally based on a charter with over 30 signatories. The REC has an office network in 17 countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey. The head office is located in Szentendre, Hungary.
The REC actively participates in key global, regional and local processes and contributes to environmental and sustainability solutions within and beyond its country office network, transferring transitional knowledge and experience to countries and regions.
Recent donors are the European Commission and the governments of Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States, as well as other inter-governmental and private institutions.
REC Bulgaria implements its activities in cooperation with the government, local authorities, companies in the environmental sector, and private and state institutions. Its team of experienced staff assists in environmental problem solving at local level with international support from REC head office and in cooperation with Bulgarian partners. REC Bulgaria participates in both regional projects and international initiatives.
REC Bulgaria supports NGOs, private and state institutions and other stakeholders in the environmental field in their role within a democratic and sustainable society. Projects are implemented by REC Bulgaria in the following areas:
- Environmental capacity building
- Environmental information dissemination
- NGO support
- Business and environment
- Local initiatives
- Public participation
- Environmental policy
- Climate change
- Environmental law
REC Bulgaria expertise
- Development of educational materials and programmes for local sustainable development, biodiversity and nature conservation
- Waste management, energy efficiency, water and air quality management, and the management of protected areas and Natura 2000 sites
- Assistance for project development focused on EU Structural Funds
- Training of local authorities, non-governmental organisations and businesses in the development of project proposals in the field of sustainable development
- Support during the preparation of strategic documents, such as short-term and long-term strategies at local and national level
- Organisation of information campaigns on various environmental topics
- Support to transboundary cooperation